Friday, June 5, 2009

Pioneers for a day. . .


Kale's class took a "pioneer" field trip


and I got to go!

Here is my pioneer boy!


The kids took a tour of the farm and were shown what "chores" would have been required of kids their age on the farm each day.



They did laundry.

They baked . . .
along with all the chores associated with that such as
churning butter,
grinding wheat,
and
gathering wood to keep the stove going.

This is where I spent the day helping the kids bake biscuits
with the sun heating me from the outside,
and the wood stove heating me from the inside.


They also got to make pioneer crafts and games,
and eat an authentic pioneer lunch on the grass in the shade.

We couldn't pack our lunch in baggies
(I wrapped our sandwiches in wax paper)
They didn't have juice boxes back then
(so Kale and I had ice water in Mason Jars)
No cheetos, or oreo cookies
(we had grapes and sliced cheese)

It was fun to be a PIONEER for a day. . .
But only for a day!


6 comments:

Evelyn said...

That sounds like a really fun fieldtrip. I would love to do something like that. Kale looks like a little pioneer model in some of those pictures.

The Lencioni's said...

He looks like such a cute pioneer. Sounds like a fun field trip.

Mills Family said...

How fun! Amazing pictures!

DebLawson said...

Oh, I remember doing that with Haley. I was in charge of the laundry. I did it with Chloe, too, when she was in 4th grade. I loved doing that with my girls so much.

BTW, Kale DOES look like a pioneer model, OR he could totally be in church pioneer films! Seriously, you should get the kid an agent!

Ang said...

What a fun field trip I'm jealous!!I wish my kids could have an experience like that. I agree, Kale makes a very cute pioneer I could totally picture him in a church film.

A Slice of Pratt Life said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! None of mine look that good from A&K's trip to that same museum! I love that fieldtrip! It is my favorite one and I will miss it now that I no longer have any 3rd graders left to go with. We are starting to do lots of stuff for the last time now that the kids are getting older.