Sunday, June 28, 2009

An Unexpected Getaway

We went on a little getaway this weekend.
Yep. Just me and him.


About a month ago I was asked to go on our Stake's Pioneer Trek with the youth.
I accepted the invitation and was surprisingly excited to go.
Kyle worked with his schedule and got the Thursday and Friday of the trek off so he could be at home with the kids.

A few weeks later however, I was uninvited to go on the trek.
Some excuse about how they wanted minimal adult participation - you know to teach the kids self reliance or something like that.

Well, that left us with a 5 day weekend so Kyle told me he would take me away for a few days.

Here were my criteria:
Somewhere somewhat close (I didn't want to spend 2 of the days driving to the destination and back)
and
Somewhere warm - with a pool - so I could do nothing at all but sit in the sun.

So Kyle suggested Tahoe - 
"but it's been stormy up there - I really want to go somewhere where I know it's gonna be warm" I said.
So Monterey was suggested - 
"but it's always windy on the coast" I said.
So after some thinking Kyle looked at me matter of factly and said,
"looks like we're going to Stockton!"

We didn't go to Stockton.
We compromised.
Even though my idea of the perfect vacation at this point in my life is somewhere where I don't have to go anywhere or do anything that is not Kyle's idea of the perfect vacation. He's a go getter on vacation. He want's to see everything and do everything.

Sooooo we went to Great America! Yes - the amusement park. Just the two of us. And we stayed at a Hotel with a great pool!
COMPROMISE!

We got an added surprise when we arrived. We thought the package we had purchased came with "2" free tickets to the park but really it came with "4" free tickets to the park.

So the 1st day we spent the day riding rollercoasters and thrill rides (and didn't set foot in the kid park even once)!
And the 2nd day we spent at the water park inside the amusement park riding waterslides, hanging out in the lazy river and taking 2 yes 2 naps on lounge chairs! We even found the perfect spot - Kyle's chair was under an umbrella - he likes the shade - and mine was in full sun right next to his!
COMPROMISE!

Here are some of the memories I will take away from "our little getaway"

(if you were expecting pictures you are sadly not going to get any)
My first memory is that I walked through an amusement park the entire day with nothing in my hands or over my shoulder or around my waist or being pushed in front of me!
No children, no stroller, no diaper bag, no snacks, no camera, NOTHING!
It was amazing - Kyle brought our hotel key and his wallet. That's it! 

My second memory is that I got to buy an ice cream cone the first day and cotton candy the second day!
Splurging on one $4 ice cream cone is doable - but when you have to buy 5 $4 cones it does not happen!

My third memory is watching Kyle get so excited over the rollercoasters - he really is still a little kid. He had to be in the front of every rollercoaster and don't think he didn't scream like a girl when we rode the "Pyscho Mouse"!
Apparently he forgot that the ride is suppossed to make you think that you are going to fall off the edge of the track! I'm laughing right now thinking about it!

My fourth memory is that I learned that my defense mechanism when I get a little nervous is to smile - but not a regular smile - that awkward fake smile - I had "the smile" in every one of those rollercoaster pictures they take.

But most of all I will just remember how much fun we had together.
I'm glad we can still have fun together.
I'm glad I didn't have to worry one minute about my kids (thank you so much grandma and grandpa  - after we picked the kids up and were driving home - I heard tears from the back seat and I look back and Kale is crying. Crying because he is now worried about his grandma and grandpa being all alone in their house now that they were leaving)
I'm glad we got to get away for a few days,
but now I'm glad we're back.

6 comments:

The Lencioni's said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. What a great way to spend the weekend together.

kelly said...

How FUN!!! I'm glad you and Kyle got to have a get-away...you deserve it! Isn't it so refreshing to remember how much you love your husband when the daily stress is removed for a little while?

amusement parks are so fun without kids sometimes. :)

I'm glad you didn't go to Stockton.

sheena said...

stockton!!

HOw fun for you guys to go!! Robby and I are taking the kids up to grandmas next week, so we can go out and not carry a million things too! and $4 icecream sounds really good right now!

Maureen said...

I love those kind of getaways..sounds like you had a blast and a blast is what you deserve. Im sure your kids would rather play at Grandma and Grandpas house rather then go anywhere, I would!! Glad you had fun..

Maureen said...

I think I used "rather" to much..opps

Ang said...

What a fun surprise vacation. I think going to the amusement park sounds so fun!!! And you even got to go swimming kid free and nap in the sun I'm so jealous