Wednesday, March 2, 2011

PUERTO RICO


The First Picture Of Us Together On Our Vacation!

We started out our vacation by spending two days in Puerto Rico before our ship left.
We got into Puerto Rico at almost midnight (although it was only about 7:00 our time).
We were starving.
The restaurant at the hotel was closed so they told us about this little restaurant just down the street that was open 24 hours.
My first question was. . .
"is it safe to walk?"
to which I was given the answer "yes. absolutely."
Though nothing happened, and I really didn't feel unsafe.
I thought perhaps I should have clarified as to what "safe" meant.
I was glad the little restaurant was only about 3 blocks away.
We walk into "La Penos"
(which I won't tell you what it sounded like when the lady at the hotel said the name)
and it was at that moment I knew I "wasn't in Kansas anymore".
I was glad I had Kyle to do all the talking for me.
He ordered a sandwich.
I ordered fries. . . and get this a virgin pina colada!
HOW FUN!
The drinks were only $2.00.
I couldn't resist.
I imagined this really fun drink coming out in a really fun cup.
What I got was a plastic cup with a cherry on top!
I can't tell you how bad I wanted to take a picture of my meal. . .
but I didn't want anyone to know I had anything of value with me!
We ate and made it back to the hotel and crashed!

The next day we woke up and realized we had an entire day to do whatever we wanted!
We took a Taxi to Old Town San Juan and this is where the taxi driver dropped us off!

We spent the day exploring the Old Forts of San Juan!






There was this amazing cemetery right on the water.


After exploring the fort for awhile we wandered into the streets of Old San Juan!
They were so fun.
I loved all the colors of the buildings.
And the balconies with all the flowers hanging off.
I loved it!
We walked past this amazing old church.
We wandered inside. . .


And discovered it is where Ponce De Leon was buried.
(guess there really is no such thing as the fountain of youth)

And because Kyle had so much fun exploring a Fort earlier in the day. . .
We found ourselves at yet another Fort for some more exploring!

This fort was full of tunnels.
It was amazing to me how they were built.




These ships were drawn on the wall by one of the prisoners held there.

While exploring the grounds outside and admiring the view. . .

I spotted these guys all over.
I may have screamed a little.
It got the attention of all the people around.
I didn't care.
These things were creepy!



It was such a fun day to do anything we wanted when we wanted.
It really was the perfect way to start our vacation!



No comments: