Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Bike Ride

A few weeks ago the kiddos and I were out in the front yard. We played some basketball, rode the scooters up and down the court and  made roads on our road with sidewalk chalk. Kale then started to ride his bike. He asked me if we could go on a bike ride  - I replied that I don't have a bike - he continued by saying that I could walk and he would ride beside me - I came up with some excuse - He then asked if he could ride his bike to the school and back. 

BY YOURSELF - I thought - No way.

He continued - I know how to get there - I will stay on the sidewalk. I will watch for cars . . . 

I couldn't help but remember all the times I rode my bike around the neighborhood and especially around the block (in Utah we had blocks). 

So I couldn't believe it but I was actually saying YES.

He had to take his brother. They had to stay on the sidewalk. They had to walk their bikes across any streets (***please know they were not crossing any streets that were even the slightest bit busy) and they had 10 minutes to be back. I even gave him the kitchen timer set for 10 minutes and if they weren't back I would be in the car to find them.

So off they went. They were both smiling so big. And there I sat on the corner with Kara sleeping in my arms waiting for my boys to return.

They returned (in about 6 minutes) with bigger smiles on their faces than when they had left. They told me how they stayed on the sidewalk (except for one part when a car was blocking the sidewalk and so they got off their bikes and walked them around the car). It was all that was talked about for a few days . . .

"Kale, Kale, remember when we went on that bike ride"

"Oh yeah!"

FAST FORWARD TO PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCE:

Kale had to pick one essay to share with me and here was his writing sample:


(One day I was riding my bike around the neighborhood.
I felt like it was an adventure. But I had 10 minutes to get home.
And my little brother came along with me.
And it was so much fun)


Funny how the little things make for the BIGGEST memories.

7 comments:

Olive-us said...

I have tears!!!!
How special!
What a big thing for you as well to have your boys ride off without you.
And the kitchen timer set for 10 minutes... love it!

Kjerstin said...

I teared up, too! You should TOTALLY get a bike for Christmas! Dustin and I finally got bikes this summer, and it's been wonderful. It took a little convincing that no, we can't ride them to church. Moms can't ride bikes in skirts, no matter how much little boys want them to! :)

Amanda said...

That is so sweet.

The Lencioni's said...

It is so hard to let them grow up and go out on their own. ;} Timmy and Michael always want to ride their bikes around the block, so sad that it is scary to let them isn't it?

Melissa said...

It is wonderful for our little guys to feel so BIG and important. How they love to do things by themselves. It's hard to let go... watching your "little" ones grow up.

Mills Family said...

What obedient boys that they stayed on the sidewalk and when they couldn't they got off their bikes and walked around the car. They were even home before the timer went off. You must be so proud of your boys who know how to listen. What a fun story!

Mamasita said...

I can totally see Kale's big tooth grin coming around the corner! Kaylynn, I love when you write stories. I get misty eyed every time!