Tuesday, November 4, 2008

HAVE YOU VOTED YET?

I DID!
For those who know me well
you know I have always been fascinated by politics.
(I was a political science major for heavens sake)

I remember very vividly at a young age going to the church with my mom while she voted.
(I was probably only taken along to watch my younger siblings)

And I don't know if that is what sparked my interest in government and politics but I remember it. 

I even remember that my mom was wearing a red shirt.

I have voted in every election since I turned 18. 
I even voted absentee while at College.
I'm proud of that.

But even though I have voted in every election that I could this one was special to me.

I felt empowered as I filled in that bubble for Prop 8 today.

I kinda felt at peace this morning. I don't know if it is going to pass. I hope and pray it does. But what I do know is that I followed the prophet today and for the past few weeks as I have been making phone calls and walking door to door and taking my family out in the pouring rain last Saturday to hang door signs. As Kyle would drive down the street and Kale and I would jump from the car running from house to house as Kris sat in the back seat pointing out the houses he thought we missed. I was proud of my family. I know that I put my best effort forward in helping this cause. And I'm proud of that - a little humbled even.

This morning after I got home from voting - Kyle called me from work and told me that there had been an accident last night that involved some sign wavers from our ward. My heart sunk as he told me the details.

Last night it was pouring rain, not just raining, pouring rain. And yet faithful members were out on nearly every corner of every intersection last night waving signs as cars drove by.

Apparently, a car ran a red light and hit a truck, causing it to spin into our group of sign wavers as they crossed the street in the cross-walk. A member of our old ward was hit by the truck and injured. He is in surgery this morning from internal bleeding. 
(Please keep him in your prayers. He is the counselor from the bishopric I worked with when I was primary president. There is not a sweeter, more compassionate man that I know.) 

Also our Prop 8 coordinator from our ward was also clipped by the truck, but not badly hurt.

I take comfort in her words after the accident - 

"It will take more than a little bump on my head to stop me!!!"

                                    

This sums up how I am feeling today.

4 comments:

Natierae said...

I felt the same way. Why did filling in that little bubble bring me so much joy, so much pride, so much happiness. I didnt feel that way about any of the other bubbles!

Kjerstin said...

We voted first thing this morning! Now I'm watching Brother Marlor on channel 8 commenting on the incoming election results. He still looks the same as when we worked for him! :)

Maureen said...

Thanks for your comments, Like you I don't feel great, I feel good and Im glad we got through this huge hurdle but Im feeling very unsettled and nervous about the future, So sad to hear about the accident, Kathy told me a little about it, We all feel so passionite about this it breaks my heart someone was hurt. we will keep him, and his family in our prayers!

Staci said...

Like you, I have never missed voting in an election since I turned 18. I feel it a priviledge to live in a country where we can vote. But this election certainly had a different feel to it. I triple checked my ballot to be sure I filled in the YES bubble for Prop 8 - didn't want to make a mistake on that one!