Wednesday, August 25, 2010

BACK TO SCHOOL

The night before school started we had our
BACK TO SCHOOL "B" PARTY!

We call it our "B" Party because we have a BIG BARBEQUE
and then dad gives the boys a BLESSING to start the new school year!
(this year was so cute because when the boys were through with their blessings Karalyn said "my turn" and Kyle gave her a really nice blessing and she sat through the entire thing with her arms folded)

Then it was OFF for the First Day of School!

A FIFTH GRADER!
That's impossible. It's his last year of Elementary School. This can't be possible.

He wasn't as nervous as in years past and I got a quick fist bump to say goodbye.

A FIRST GRADER!
This really can't be possible. But it was. He was gone all day.

And he wasted no time getting started with his 1st day of 1st grade!

After school the boys enjoyed chocolate chip cookies and milk after walking home in the 105 degree heat!

I got the "naughty" report from Kris.
(who had their stick pulled etc)
I got the "you didn't buy me folder dividers" speech from Kale.

So this year we are starting a few new traditions in our home.

FIRST

A new way to read scriptures in the morning.

We've always had scripture study in the morning. You know the drill. Drag the kids out of bed. Watch them bring their blankets and pillows downstairs and then watch them fall back asleep on the couch as dad reads from the scriptures.

Well at least that's how it went last year in our house.
So this year I wanted to do something different.

I found this book.

And in it are daily passages of scripture. This book happens to focus on the Doctrine and Covenants. So each day has a scripture and a quote from a prophet relating to that scripture and questions we can answer as a family regarding the same scripture.

Which means discussion. Which means the children cannot be asleep to answer questions.
I was excited to start this new program and after reading the scripture for the first day I am so convinced I was inspired to start this.

AUGUST 24

THE LORD WILL BE WITH YOU

"And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will bo on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.
D&C 84:88

There is not anything desirable that you will not be able to do with the aid and the help of the Lord, and every gift and power will be with you to accomplish his work if you will do your full part.
Ezra Taft Benson

What a perfect discussion for the first day of school!

SECOND

A new way to keep the boys room cleaned.

Every morning they are required to make their bed and make sure everything is picked up off the floor.

So here's the deal.
Every morning after they leave for school I will walk upstairs and if there are any clothes on the floor, dresser drawers not shut, bins not put back under their beds or if their bed is not made they have to go to bed 5 minutes earlier for each thing that is not done.

Today I took pictures.

Good Job Kale.




Poor Kris.
He gets to go to bed 25 minutes early tonight!


That might just be enough motivation to jump start him for the year.
We'll see!

So it begins.
A NEW SCHOOL YEAR!

3 comments:

Kjerstin said...

You=BEST MOM EVER!!! Ever. Seriously, I need to follow you around and get parenting instruction. But I live too far away, so if you could just keep a detailed log of what you do and say every day I'll take a copy. :) That scripture is my favorite, so reassuring to have that knowledge.

The Rocks said...

What great ideas! We start school next week (Abby is starting kindergarten and Jaxon starts preschool 2 weeks later) and I've been looking for some ideas for scripture study as well as keeping rooms clean. Amazing mom you are!

Marissa said...

I just caught up on your blogs and it's making me cry!!! Can you start a blog for me and pretend I am as good of a mom as you are??? Thanks for sharing another fabulous summer with me and I am sad it is over :(