Sunday, July 27, 2008

SUNDAY STRUGGLES

So I just have to talk about my day at church today because it was WONDERFUL. . .
Now I'm a mom with three kids so notice I didn't say PERFECT just WONDERFUL!!!!

First of all Saturday nights are my favorite because Kyle gets up with Kara on these nights (now she only gets up once somewhere between 4 am and 5 am) but still to sleep until 7:00 am - it's already a good day.

Somehow this morning just went smooth - no major struggles - the boys got dressed - we got breakfast (cold cereal - but what do you expect with 9:00 am church?) - the dress I had anticipated wearing actually fit and I think looked decent - I even got to try on 2 separate outfits on Kara and then decide which one looked best (totally remembering doing that with my Barbies) - so I'm waiting for the bomb to drop. . . I'm waiting for a meltdown - I'm waiting for the car to break down on the way to church - I'm waiting for a blowout before we leave the house (on Kara everyone - Kris is doing much better) - I don't know what I'm waiting for but Sunday mornings cannot go this smooth. . .

So we get to church (early) and we pile onto our bench - Kara falls asleep (yeah) - I realize it is High Council Sunday - could this be the bomb (boring sacrament meeting?) NO! It is actually interesting - The talk was on the Articles of Faith and as the speaker begins talking about the Articles of Faith I notice my 8 year old unzipping his scripture case, pulling out his scriptures, and turning to the Articles of Faith to follow along. (Believe me I did a double take - I swear it was yesterday he was bringing Star Wars Coloring Books to church and now all he brings is his simple scripture bag) So could the day get any better?

YES! Kristopher did Amazing at church (notice again that I did not say he was perfect) but believe me I will take Amazing!!!!  He looked at church books - leaned all over me a little which is where the not perfect part comes in - do we as mothers have signs all over us that say "We like to have as many bodies as possible draped all over us especially while sitting down?" Maybe it's just me. He didn't fight me about waiting for his snack until after the Sacrament was done being passed. AND. . .when he asked me to get a drink - he asked please - walked (with his arms folded) out of the chapel - and came right back (arms still folded). I was a very content mother.

I couldn't stop thinking about it all day - I'm so thankful for all the times I was consistent on the snack thing and consistent on what I expect during sacrament meeting because today every struggle paid off - It was just a little while ago I had this conversation with Kristopher:

THE SCENE:
We are driving to church after a stressful morning of getting ready for church - the past few weeks Kristopher had spent much of church in the car with Dad for as he puts it "being a pill" (We even had to fix the rear view mirror of the van - because after Kyle strapped him into his car seat Kris was so mad he took his shoes off and threw them as hard as could up to the front seat breaking the rear view mirror) 

Are you starting to see why today was so AMAZING?

So here's how the conversation goes:

ME:  Kris - we are going to have a good day at church today - do you understand?
KRIS:  (grumbling) yes
ME:  Kris - I mean it Sacrament meeting is a time when we think about Jesus and we are reverent. I brought a snack for you but if you even ask me once for it before we take the sacrament I will walk out in the hallway and throw it away in the garbage - do you understand?
KRIS: (grumbling even more) yes
ME: So what are we going to do today during sacrament?
KRIS: silence
ME:  Are we going to look quietly at our books?
KRIS: (grumbling and I can tell getting a little annoyed) yes
I decide to wrap the conversation up before I get him to annoyed. . .
ME: So I'm going to think about Jesus today during sacrament and all that he did for us and how much he loves us. What are you going to think about during sacrament today?
KRIS: (In a deceitful little voice I wish I could explain in writing) MICKEY MOUSE!

Maybe now you can understand why today meant so much to me - do I expect it to happen every Sunday - NOPE - I'm realistic. But today was one of those . . .
IT'S WORTH IT DAYS!

4 comments:

Kjerstin said...

Oh, I'm so with you on the "bodies draping all over" part. By the time Sacrament meeting is over, I feel like I need a huge sign that says "I need some personal space right now". I think you captured PERFECTLY what parenting is: small miracles after years of work! It's really hard, though, when people in neighboring benches are having a buffet and we're trying to tell our kids "no snacks until after the Sacrament". :)

The Lencioni's said...

What a nice Sunday and I'm totally with Kjerstin on the buffets making it hard for our kids during the Sacrament.

Gwen Mangelson said...

Just wiping away the tears of laughter as I read your post. Dad and I SO know what you are talking about- especially the flying shoe and broken mirror!!

Love to read your blog, Hope to see you for Thanksgiving and missing you all "more than you will ever know".
Gwen

DebLawson said...

I'm glad you had a nice day at church. This post made me laugh! we have all experienced those crazy and hectic Sundays, so when you do get a nice, calm one in you really do appreciate it.
Your kids are awesome.