Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gift of "LOVE"

I did it!
I did it!
I did it!
I actually finished a project that I said I was going to finish!
I love it!
I love it!
I love it!


A little background. . .

Each year for Christmas Kyle and I give our kids 3 gifts.
There's three reasons behind this.
1.  The wise men brought 3 gifts to the baby Jesus.
2.  The kids know exactly how many gifts they will be getting from mom and dad each year and we avoid the "I got more last year or he got more than me" routine.
3. It helps us to not go crazy right before Christmas. Even if I see something that I know my kids would love I think to myself I already have my three gifts bought.

Now the three gifts they get are:

A gift of LAUGHTER
A gift of LEARNING
and
A gift of LOVE

The gift of Laughter is just that - something fun!

The gift of Learning is some sort of learning toy (you can really have fun with this one - this year Kale got an alarm clock as his gift of learning - it doesn't have to be boring)

The gift of Love is something that I make for the kids each year - some years have been very simple for example a few years ago I took all of Kale's flashcards that he had made at school and laminated them and put them on a ring so he could have them all together - but this year we went a little overboard and made them this flag.

Each baseball is fabric dyed and individually screwed onto the frame.
It took more work than I thought it would but it is so worth it.

Now did my kids "ohhh" and "awww" over the flag when they opened it.
No not really, but now that it is up on their wall I think they like it!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Where did you get this idea? You are so creative...I love it! Was it hard to dye the balls?

The Lencioni's said...

I'm so glad you got it done. It looks great.

ali said...

individually screwed in? holy crow. I think I would have tried super glue!

Cole said...

That looks great!!!! Sounds like a lot of work but what fun art peace for a little boy’s room.

PS. I don't know if you heard that Grandpa fell last night and broke his hip. I think he's having surgery tonight.

Kaylynn said...

I actually got the idea from RED ROBIN - inside the restaurant they have a huge one (looks way better than my imitation) but I'm still happy with mine.

The balls weren't hard to dye - in fact they absorbed the color better than I thought they would (they are actually a little darker than I wanted) they just took a long time to dry (like a week).

And Ali you better believe that hot glue entered my mine - but in the end - we decided to make sure it would last through the ages and screwed them all in. My wonderful husband measured each ball and figured out how much space between each ball and made a template on the back and then wala!

There are 96 baseballs in case you didn't count!

jodie333 said...

I love the Idea of Three gifts. the past couple of years I get into the hidding spot and forgot about a few gifts that I had bought, and they end up with way more that I had anticipated! WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! I hope you had an electric drill, or you have really strong arms! HEEHE!

The Mann Family said...

I love this! You are so clever.

mj said...

that is amazing. i saw something similar at red robin and thought "maybe someday I will attempt that" totally NOT going to knowing that each ball was fabric dyed and screwed onto the board!

Kjerstin said...

You. Are. Cool.

I love it!