Monday, July 19, 2010

Moving day. . .


This past weekend was moving day
for Kyle's grandparents.
They left the home they have lived in for over 50 years
and moved closer to Kyle's parents and us!

We took our family down a few weeks ago for one last trip to

NANA and

PAPA'S HOUSE!

This girl had a great time watching all the action as we went through the garage in search of treasures from the past that we could take home with us!

The boys may have gotten a few of Papa's old tools,
and this girl, well, she had to have this little old ladder!


We ordered fried zuchinni from DINOS and ate it on the back patio.
It reminded us of all the backyard picnics we've had throughout the years on that patio!


I snapped this photo of my kids in the backyard. . .
and for one split second I thought about not posting it because Kara has chocolate all down the front of her. . .
How embarrassing!

But then I realized it is the perfect picture. Kara's clothes don't stay clean for more than 10 minutes every time we come to Nana and Papa's house because Nana hands out her famous "tootsie rolls" to the kids!

I also snapped a few pictures of my favorite things in the backyard.

This picture says it all to me.
Lemons and Birdhouses.
Two of the many things Papa is known for.

I sure will miss those lemons he used to bring up. . .
fortunately we are lucky enough to have a few of the birdhouses he has made.

similar to this one. . .
AMAZING!


Here is the stepping stone my boys made for them one year.

This is the pathway that leads all along the backyard.
I secretly wanted to dig up a portion and take it home with me.
It holds a special memory for me.
This might have been the pathway that I was walking on when I realized how much I really, really, liked Kyle.
We had been dating for a few months and over Christmas break I flew to California to meet his family.
Little did I know I would meet the entire family.
They were all down in the Bay Area having Christmas with his two sets of Grandparents.
It was the first time I ever came to this little yellow house.
It was the first time I met his parents and his brothers and sister.
It was the first time as he was giving me the tour of the backyard as we were walking hand in hand on this very walkway that I realized that maybe I didn't ever want him to let go of my hand.

We explored Papa's Shop. . .

Papa's empty shop. . .
It was really strange to see it empty.

And then I took this picture.
And 24 others just like it.
And as I took the pictures I may have started crying (for just a second).
I loved seeing Grandma playing with my kids on the lawn looking for bugs.

I'm sure she did the same thing, on the same lawn, a few years earlier with her own kids!

And I couldn't resist getting a picture of Kara relaxing on the "blue couch"!

The house holds a lot of memories, but the nice thing about memories is that you can take them with you.

So moving day was a success!
We will miss our trips to Fremont, we will miss fishing with Papa at Quarry Lakes, we will miss our Oakland Temple Christmas light tradition, but. . .
It's worth it to have them living so close to us!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Thanks for sharing such a special post..memories are the best..