Monday, September 15, 2008

PROPOSITION 8

PROTECTING MARRIAGE



On Saturday my husband and I went walking door to door in support of Proposition 8.
OK we took Karalyn with us - I kinda hoped people maybe wouldn't be as argumentative with a baby right there. . .

I will say though on the outside I seemed all gung-ho about going but inside I was a nervous wreck. I hate confrontation and here I was putting myself out there on an issue that on both sides portrays really strong feelings. Many silent prayers were offered as we approached each door. This was our second time walking neighborhoods. I guess the thing that surprised me most was that people didn't even know what Prop 8 was?
 
"We're here in the neighborhood with information regarding Prop 8 - are you familiar with what Prop 8 is?"

Most times people looked confused. . .

"Proposition 8 places into the California Constitution the same language that voters already passed by 61% percent of the vote in 2000, which says, 'only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California.'"

Then people would nod. . .

Is this an I AGREE with that nod - 

Or an NOW I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT  AND I'M NOT VOTING FOR THAT nod?

"Do you know where you stand on this issue?"

Yes

"Can we ask how you would vote on this issue?"
(that's the scary question)

I was surprised that most people answered either yes or no. There were no in betweens. We were ready with the response (not argument) that in the far scope of things this isn't just an issue about Gay Marriage or Protecting Marriage - but in reality this would send the message not only to California but to other states as well that even though 4 million people voiced their opinion on a particular matter that 4 extreme judges took that voice away and put in their own policy agenda.  THAT'S SCARY!!!!!

Or what about the story right here in our own county - where a couple was recently married and on the marriage license where it now reads PARTY A and PARTY B - they wrote next to PARTY A BRIDE and next to PARTY B GROOM and the county came back and declared their marriage invalid - they had tampered with the license. 
I don't know about you but when my kids get married I want them to be known as a BRIDE or GROOM not PARTY A or PARTY B!

The conversation ended with us thanking them for their time and handing them a flyer.

We didn't have any doors slammed in our face and no one was intentionally rude to us, but I'm not going to lie - I was very glad when we finished with all the houses on our list - It put me out there and I felt really out of my element - but I'm so thankful that I played a small part in educating people on the issue.

I'm not done either - I plan on continuing efforts right up until November 4th - and you better believe I will be one of the first ones in line to cast my vote on that day as well. . .

And so I ask for your help as well!
Please get the word out - I'm not asking everyone to go door to door - I know it's scary - but talk to people - wear a button and answer questions if people ask about what it is.  And at the very least please make sure you are registered to vote and go vote on November 4th!

It's a humbling and empowering feeling knowing that we do have a voice.
Let's make it be heard.

thanks for listening

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Kaylynn I am sooo inspired by your post today. What a brave and important thing you are doing. We all have to stand up for what we believe in and here you are doing it in your own community. I can't believe what our world is coming to sometimes and kudos to you and Kyle for doing something about it. Thank you.

Chelsea said...

You are so brave!

Mamasita said...

Kaylynn
You are a go getter! Thank you!

kelly said...

great job getting yourself out there! Thanks for passing the word on this Prop. We need to tell everybody!!

Maureen said...

Kaylynn,
Good for you for going out, Jerry is zip code cordinator in our ward and it is huge, and I mean huge. (as your father in law knows) What amazes me is the willeness of most ward members to help where needed. I am recording the results and so far it is more "dont bother me" then yes I will vote yes and will do whatever to help. Now good old Brad Pitt donated 100 thousand dollars to vote no to Prop 8. Hollywood and their standards are what scare me! They have way to much influence on the world and their veiws..Sorry to ramble, just wanted to say "way to go!