Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fruits of our labor

The other day I came out of the laundry room with a basket full of laundry to fold and out the back window I saw this. . .

I dropped the basket of laundry and grabbed the camera!

My heart melted.

After an impromptu water fight with the hose my boys cooled off and relaxed by picking homegrown tomatoes off the vine and talked and laughed for a good 20 minutes with each other.

Does Summer Get Any Better Than That?

It reminded me of that day way back in April when we planted those tomatoes.

Kara was a helper that day (and her hair was so much shorter)!


And here you have it. . .
8 tomato plants
I thought I would have so many tomatoes I wouldn't know what to do.
I had visions of canning spaghetti sauce, salsa, and whole tomatoes.



Now don't get me wrong.
We have tomatoes. We have lots of tomatoes.
But we are having way too much fun eating them to even think about putting any of them in a jar.
BLT's for dinner,
Sliced tomatoes with a little pepper for lunch,
More salads then you can even imagine,
and as you can tell my family can eat them just like apples!

Who am I to tell my boys they can't have a tomato when they want one?



And as a bonus my husband set every one of those tomatoes (and our bell peppers, and zucchini) all on a drip system so I don't have to water them by hand every day!
(That is probably why they are growing so good this year)

This is Kristopher's drip system. . .
He planted a weed and hooked up a drip system just like his dad!

3 comments:

Ang said...

What a sweet picture of your boys!! I love that Chris planted a weed, so cute :) I wish my tomatoes were doing as well as yours are. A lot of mine are still green I even have a drip system.

Yes we do have a lot going in the summer but we love it!! This summer has actually been a little more relaxed than most. It would so fun if you lived here then, you could come hang with us in the summer I’m sure our kids would be great friends.

Mamasita said...

That is awesome!

I thought the picture of the boys was them drenched in sweat! It wouldn't be surprising...

I'm glad it was water!

Kjerstin said...

I wish someone else in my family liked tomatoes! I only do two plants since I'm the only one that will eat them. :)