Sunday, August 30, 2009

WILD, WACKY, and WONDERFUL CALIFORNIA


I could think of a few other words for California right now but on this day we enjoyed the
WILD, WACKY, and WONDERFUL CALIFORNIA STATE FAIR!

Each county has their own exhibit and highlights things from their county and every year we take a picture in front of our very own PLACER county exhibit!
And of course we come to the FAIR for the FOOD!
But our favorite thing at the fair is the ANIMALS!
So you can imagine my disappointment (disgust really) when we found out that they now charge $3.00 a child to enter the petting zoo!

There were plenty of animals you could look at through cages, but it's just not the same.
(in case you were wondering we didn't go in the petting zoo - I had just paid a fortune just to get them into the fair - I was not about to pay money for them to pet animals when every other year they have gotten to do it for free)

It put me in a little bit of a bad mood.
Since it was the still the beginning of the day I knew I needed to change my attitude.
I wanted the day to be fun.
So we moved on to the COWS!

I mean who can't be in a good mood around cows?
Oh yeah - this kid hates cows?

Doesn't he know his Great-Grandpa was a dairy farmer?

BUT, California came through.
We came upon this little exhibit. . .


Kristopher was chosen to go up on stage and participate in a little demonstration on TREES and all the great things we can get from TREES!

AND THEN. . .

The boys got to go rope climbing!





We did a lot of other fun things during the day too.
We watched some fun shows.
We had some good treats.
We saw some really funny people (who I don't think were even trying to be funny)
but nothing could compare to the ROPE CLIMBING!

You know by this picture the day had to be a success. . .
If for no other reason I captured a picture of this kid with his real smile, and it still melts me every time I see it!


5 comments:

Maureen said...

I have never been a big fan of the State Fair. (I know crazy huh) but this year I think I want to go, I think it just always felt like soo much money, and too many people..ba humbug..But looking at your pictures made me a little homesick for it, I do have great memories of when we would take the kids..Carnivals scare me a bit so I think we will stay away from that section this year! Thanks for sharing..

Kaylynn said...

I just had to clarify even though I said "on this day" we went to the fair and I posted about it on Sunday - we didn't actually go on Sunday. We went last Monday, the day before school started. OK. I feel better.

Kaylynn said...

And Maureen, we never ride any rides. They are too expensive and they scare me a little too. Last year we rode the ferris wheel but this year we didn't ride anything. There is enough to do at the fair without riding rides. And while I'm on this kick. It was always really easy to steer clear of the rides until last year when they put this whole "kids park" right in the middle of everything. Now we have to walk by rides and I have to remind my kids that we don't come to the fair to ride rides.

Mamasita said...

KALE SMILING IN THAT PICTURE IS WAY TOO CUTE!!

Ang said...

I love the State Fair, ours is next week and your pictures made me even more excited. The rope climbing looks fun, and the smile on Kales face priceless.