Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Grandpa

My Grandpa, Lloyd Keith Schlappi passed away yesterday.
This is the last picture I have of him.
I knew it would be my last visit with him.

During our short visit we talked about "dancing in the kitchen"
I will always remember standing on my grandpa's feet and dancing through the house.
I even found this picture and my mom had written on the back,
"dancing with Grandpa"

Last night my kids were asking me about my Grandpa. I told them this story.

My Grandpa was a counselor in the Manti Temple Presidency for many years. One summer when I was 9 years old I got to go stay with them for a few days in their little apartment at the bottom of temple hill. While they would work in the temple for a few hours I would stay at their apartment and color and eat grandma's treats and watch The Price is Right. One morning the phone rang and it my Grandpa. He told me to put my church dress on and meet him at the temple and he would be waiting for me.
As I was walking up the hill I remember being nervous because I didn't see my Grandpa.
And then just as I got up to the temple the temple door opened and my Grandpa was standing there all in white and gave me a hug.
He held my hand and we walked inside the temple.
For a minute I thought maybe I was doing something wrong because I knew I wasn't old enough to go in the temple yet, but I also knew that my Grandpa wouldn't take me anywhere I wasn't supposed to go.
I remember seeing the chandelier in the temple and thinking to myself that this was the most beautiful place I had ever been in.
Turns out my Grandpa just wanted to have lunch with me. He took me downstairs to the cafeteria and we had lunch with my Grandma.
I look back on that day and realize that is the day I knew that someday I would be married in the temple.
Twelve summers later my Grandpa sealed Kyle and I in the Mt. Timpanogos Temple for time and all eternity.

My Grandpa was holding my mom's hand as she passed away. He kept talking to her right until the end. He was crying and I knew how hard that was for him as a father to see his only daughter pass on before him.
I know yesterday there was an amazing reunion as my mom was with both her parents again. How happy my Grandpa must have been to see them both dressed in white waiting for him.
He must have been as happy as I was on that summer day when my Grandpa all dressed in white was waiting for me.

I will miss you Grandpa.

10 comments:

Ang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ang :o) said...

Oh Geez! Talk about a tear jerker. I'm sorry for your loss but this was so beautiful written that I'm happy for the reunion he had.

I'm not sure if you knew this but when your mom was sick they were asking for volunteers to sit with your mom during the days so she wasn't alone. I didn't know your mom but KG's mom mentioned it to me and I volunteered a few times. I loved doing that. She couldn't talk at that time and mostly slept but the spirit there was so strong. I loved her and didn't even know her. And I loved your M&M tradition for her birthday. I do the same thing because I don't like peanuts. It's a victory to find the peanutless ones! :)

Ang said...

Kaylynn.
I love the post about Grandpa it brought tears to my eyes. Would you mind if I made a copy of it and posted it on the Schlappi blog?

I talked to my Dad about the musical number, they have decided not to do that song and have decided to have all of the Grand children, great Grandchildren & great great Grand children sing 3 primary songs.
They are singing I'm a child of God, Families can be together forever and my Dad couldn't remember the 3rd one.

I'm glad you are coming. I don't if you already have somewhere to stay but you are welcome to stay at my house. :)

kelly said...

Kaylynn, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so glad you got to see him in May.
This story was so beautiful to read and imagine the joy they must have now! Aren't we blessed to have that perspective?

Thank you for sharing. I hope you are doing alright.

Maureen said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story and Im happy your grandpa can be with those who love him on the other side..I can also see why you are so special..Im sorry for your temporary separation, have a safe trip back to say goodbye.

Anonymous said...

Kaylynn, I can hardly see the keys to type this to you. That was written right from your heart. I feel your faith and love of your family as you felt/thought of every word to write. Thank you for sharing. Hugs, Mom "J"

Ang said...

Kaylynn,
I have decided to have my blog be private. I would still love for you to read it so if you will send me your email address I will send you an invitation.

My email is crawfordang@gmail.com
Thanks :)

Kjerstin said...

Kaylynn, that was such a beautiful tribute. What a blessing it is to have the knowledge of the gospel. My mom's side of the family is from Manti, so that temple has always been special to me, too. You're amazing!

Mills Family said...

Kaylynn,

What a sweet tribute to your grandpa. My mom and I read this together and were both so touched. I remember staying with your grandparents our junior year in high school and saying family prayers with them every night and morning with them. What good people!

That is neat to think about the reunion that occurred on the other side when your grandfather passed on. Your mother and grandmother must be so happy to have him home.

Mamasita said...

Kaylynn, What beautiful memories!
I am so glad you got to see your grandpa in may. I know it will be a sweet reunion when he and your mom see each other again. I love you and am so sorry for your loss.