Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Funerals, Family, and Food


When we found out my Grandpa had passed away we began making plans to attend the funeral.
Why was I so shocked that plane tickets would be so expensive on a 2 day notice?
After going back and forth about whether the whole family should go we decided it would be in the best interest to leave the boys home and take Kara with us to the funeral (she's still free)!

We left early in the morning and spent some time in the airport just staring at the airplanes.

I was armed with toys, snacks, puzzles, you name it I had it. . .
and she didn't need any of it.
She only needed dad's lap and the clouds outside. She was fascinated.

We even managed a little nap on the second flight.


The funeral was really good.
I have not seen some of my extended family in years and it was so neat to see all of my mom's brothers and their families.

My sister gave an amazing talk about some of the memories she had with my Grandpa.
I directed (yes I waved my arm - but probably not in the right time) all of my Grandpa's grandkids, great-grandkids, and great-great-grandkids, in a medley of primary songs.
The entire stage was filled in the chapel.
I had to stand down in front to lead them and as they all sang 
"Families Can Be Together Forever" 
I could feel the spirit so strong.
It was such a testimony of family to me.

My Grandpa was in the Navy and was given full honors at his funeral.
So neat.

Kyle was so sweet and bought pink flowers to take with us to the cemetary so we could give them to my mom.

I got a little emotional when I saw my daughter who is named after my mom sitting there next to her. It's the closest she will be to her in this life.


Really though, the highlight of the day for me was having my 2 brothers and my 3 sisters all together. 
I made them all pose in the 103 degree heat for this picture.
(but I'm the oldest and they do what I say)

FOOD

One morning we woke up and took a drive up to Ogden.
We hadn't been back since we moved almost 9 years ago.
We drove by the old house, drove up the canyon, visited the campus of Weber State where Kyle graduated,
and we couldn't leave without eating at JAKE'S OVER THE TOP!

Kara did not know what to do with herself. She had an entire kids meal to herself! No getting the leftovers from her brothers this time!

And you better believe that Strawberry Milkshake was ALL MINE!

On Sunday my Dad's brother and his wife hosted a lunch for all of my dad's side of the family. 
It was such a bonus to get to see that side of the family while we there as well.

I was bound and determined to get a picture of Kara and my brother Kasey.
This is how they all turned out!

I was able to catch these little gems!
Just look at those looks that Kara is giving him!



And try I did to get a picture with my dad and Kara. . .
This is as close as he could get to her without making her scream!


I could blame her attitude on the fact that she was either on a plane, in a car seat, or sitting in a funeral for the past 3 days.

But I think she just liked being with her mom and dad all by herself.  That's never happened. And I have to say it was kinda fun only having one child for a few days!

8 comments:

The Lencioni's said...

Wow, how sweet, that picture of Kara on your mom's grave. So, not fair to put that in, made me cry. Sorry for the circumstances, but how great that you were all together.

reba said...

Kaylynn,
What a beautiful time with one child. And glad you were able to attend your grandpa's funeral. Since I haven't kept up with you until recently (love blogs), I feel horrible that I didn't know you lost your mom. I see and read all the things you do for your family and you are an amazing mom and I know she'd be proud!

Marie said...

Kasey belongs HERE...not THERE! I still can't believe he's your brother!!! I mean I can...your son looks just like him (to me).

I'm so glad you got to go be with all your family and enjoy having one child all to yourself and walk down memory lane...and I envy your milkshake just a tad.

The Rocks said...

Okay, you made me bawl! I'm so sorry about your grandpa but how wonderful the reunion must have been for him and your mom. I love the picture of Kara--you're mom would be so well pleased with you and all that you're doing as a mom. You're amazing!

marissa said...

You made me cry and now I am mad at you! It really is a beautiful entry, one that definitely deserved the tears! Love Ya!

Ang said...

It was fun to see you!! I have some cute pictures of Kara and Spence I will post some on my blog or the family blog.
I saw Kara putting flowers on your Mom's grave it was so sweet. What a sweet husband to do that and they were even her favorite color.

Amanda said...

Holly took the words right out of my mouth. That picture of you and Kara at your mom's marker was so precious as was the picture of you with your siblings.

jodie333 said...

I agree that I love we were all together! It almost makes up for how bad I look in the pic! Oh well!! It was really nice for everyone to be together! It had been a really long time!!
Go FAMILY!!!