Tuesday, December 16, 2008

PLAN B day. . .


Yesterday I woke up with a plan!

1.  Take Kale to school and Kris to preschool.
2.  Stop at Grocery store and buy all ingredients to make 3 different kinds of cookies and treats to fill transformed formula cans with because for family night we would take them around to our neighbors.
3.  Make 3 different kinds of cookies and treats.
4.  Eat dinner
5.  Put on Santa hats and take treats to neighbors.

So the day started out right on schedule:

1.  Take Kale and Kris to preschool - CHECK 
2.  Get phone call from good friend desperate for someone to watch her little boy while she volunteers at the school. (no problem plan A is just delayed by an hour or so)
3.  Get another phone call from another friend who needs a babysitter for a doctors appointment (still no problem right - plan A just delayed)
4.  Husband comes home for lunch (with a co-worker) 
(I decide maybe it was a good thing my kitchen was not destroyed from making 3 different kinds of cookies and treats)
5.  Run to the store with only 45 minutes until older child gets out of school to get supplies.
6.  Come home from store and unload groceries.
7.  Realize that plan A is not going to happen today. There is no time to get treats made - get dinner ready and take treats around.

ENTER PLAN B
and it all started with this


Isn't it Beautiful?
It is the new Nativity at the Oakland Temple.


And after seeing it on Saturday night I could not get it out of my head.
It was so stunning all in white with the temple behind it.
I love that Mary and Joseph are together holding the baby Jesus.


So now realizing I have to throw together a Family night -
I knew I wanted to talk about the Nativity.

So we started with this. . .

And as I would hand a different character to each member of my family to put in the stable we would talk about that character and why it is important to the nativity.

It was so neat to just talk about it.
Not read it from a book.
Or have mom preaching to the family.
We just talked about it.
Everyone was listening.
Everyone was involved.
It was probably the best 10 minute family night we have ever had.


Here is what the nativity looked like after we were done.

And thanks to being primary president a few years back I pulled out the posters I had made to the Nativity Song and we all sang together.



And if that wasn't already the best thrown together family night. . .
Friend #1 remember the one volunteering at school
brought over gingerbread (graham cracker) houses that were left over from the class
so we had instant TREAT!




THANK YOU PLAN B
for reminding me that life doesn't always have to be planned!
(and in case you are wondering - I will be in my kitchen all day today finishing plan A)

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I love that you have plans A and B, I just don't plan anymore because it never seems to work out and then Im in frustrated mode the rest of the day, so, good for you for putting everything on hold for friends. Then to end the day with a great FHE. You Rock!! PS would love your pie crust recipe, Im sure to find one that I can make work!