Friday, December 12, 2008

You can find me at Target. . .

I went to Target 4 times Today!

Trip #1:
Kyle had the day off (wahoo) and after dropping Kale off at school and Kris off at Preschool it was off to target to check items off the Christmas List.
This trip I would consider successful because we left with things in the cart - although they did not have the right size hat and gloves for little Karalyn so we knew we would be hitting the Target across town later.

Trip #2:
Later - we did make it to the Target across town and yeah - they had the right size. 
(while walking through the aisles I saw the perfect Christmas gift for my husband - but, could not buy it then for he was with me  - you see trip #3 coming don't you?)

Trip #3:
Yep - during nap time I snuck out by myself heading back to Target and yes did pick up the perfect gift for my man.

Trip #4:
I get home from Trip #3 to find that items purchased (lawn decorations) from Trip #1 need to be returned. So off I go - why not (remember Target is only 30 seconds away)

Now the purpose of this post was not to brag that I can go to target 4 times in 1 day (I know many of you are jealous and many of you probably think I am crazy) but it was during trip #3 that something neat happened.

It was near the end of Trip #3. I was in the checkout stand. Being by myself I did not notice that it was taking quite a long time. I was reading a magazine instead of entertaining children. I did look up when I heard a little commotion at the register. At the front of the line was a young mom (I knew she was a mom because she had a diaper bag - the one you get from the hospital over her shoulder - but she didn't have her kids with her.) Behind her was an older couple and then there was me. OK. So the young mom was trying to use some sort of gift card - but it was not going through. A manager was called over and said something about that card not being good at this Target because it wasn't a full grocery store. (wierd - I know I don't get it). So the young mom starts emptying her purse - Her bill was like $21 and she had paid $10 in cash and was trying to use the gift card for the remainder. She only had a few items  -a package of toy food was all I saw sticking out of the bag. She looked to the back of the line - that at this point had backed up into the aisle of the store and apologized saying "I am using every penny to give my kids something for Christmas".

It was at this point that the couple behind me handed the clerk a $20.00 bill and told the young mom not to worry about her balance and to keep the change. She protested, but the couple insisted saying "Merry Christmas". The young mom began to cry and gave the lady a hug - I looked at her husband and he had tears in his eyes (although I couldn't see much because my eyes were beginning to fill with tears themselves).

I had a quick conversation with couple in which I also thanked them - for reminding me of the true meaning of Christmas - selfless acts of kindness.
Add Video

5 comments:

Kjerstin said...

I love it. So glad you got the "true Christmas" boost we all need some days! Maybe I should go to Target three and four times a day! :)

Maureen said...

okay now I have tears in my eyes and can't read. How wonderful to witness such a kind act. Target is a happy place..

Amanda said...

That is awesome. What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

The Rocks said...

That bullseye design has to be good for something, doesn't it? Hitting it right on with the true meaning of Christmas--what a wonderful thing to see! And don't worry, I hit Target at least 4-5 times a week. My husband just doesn't get it--and he probably never will!

jodie333 said...

That is so sweet! Last year right around x-mas I was shopping at winco with both kids! Long story short melt downs happend but I had to finnish. I had gagie in my baby front pouch and maycie screaming at my leg. I got all the food up on the belt, and I felt a sigh of relief until I rememberd i was at winco NO BAGGERS!! I then felt very overwelmed! and I am guessing you could see it on my face, this old couple came over to me and asked to help, sent me and Maycie and gagie over to sit on the near bench bagged my grosheries and walked us to the car!! I will never forget that wonderful couple!!